Friday, October 5, 2007

A bad day for the home team

Well in all the frustration of trying to get the broadcast for yesterday's loss to South Carolina (we were having major audio problems), I forgot to write a blog. The news wasn't particularly good either. We do have the passport in hand now, which is a good step but there was a bit of trouble with one of the papers that need need to go with us to the Consulate. Plus, the Consulate is so busy right now, they hadn't even looked at our papers yet and would not give us a interview date. So, we are definitely not going in this week. Hopefully Monday. Barbara is going to deal with the paperwork problem today and then take it over personally to beg for a Monday visa appointment. I have also spoken personally with the lady a the Consulate who is very polite but has not be able to give me an answer about when we can come in.

Wait till you hear what the paperwork problem is. Kerwin was taken in for a physical several months ago but you do not pick up the physical form until you have the passport in hand. Don't ask me why things are done in this order it makes no sense to me. So when she went to pick up the physical form yesterday she sees that somehow they failed to document that Kerwin is handicapped even though she specifically told the doctor this and he said to her, "Yes, I can see that." I was there and heard the whole exchange. However, somewhere between him examining Kerwin and the report being written the fact the he had CP and was deaf was forgotten. So now we have to take in documentation of Kerwin's disabilities so they can fill it in on the "Diagnosis" blank. AAAHHH! The incompetence.

If you don't care to read my diatribe you can just stop here because the news for today is over. But I have yet to really rail on the government or the culture or the way thing are done here but I am about to. I'll probaly go back and delete this later but for those of you who caught it now, here it is. I have a tendency to lose my tolerance and ability to remain focused toward the end of something. I found this to be true when I spent the summer in Russia. By the last two weeks I was already home and my tolerance for that place, what we were doing, and my teammates changed drastically. I feel the same thing happening here. There is one thing I don't think I could ever deal with if I were called to overseas missions. I cannot just take this attitude of, "Well, that's just they way they do things here and you have to just accept it." Well I do not. I do not accept it. It is pitiful. It's not just different, it's worse. If you have seen better you cannot deny it. I'm sorry. I know incompetence and corruption and apathy occur all over, but nowhere is it tolerated and expected like it is here. It's wrong to have to always wonder if every person you talk to is lying to you. It's wrong that people in offices that are supposed to be helping children, the "employees" are sitting around playing computer games, sleeping, laughing it up with their buddies, and just generally passing time. And unfortunately I do not have any great overarching plan for fixing this place. It's not an easy (or even possible) thing to do. I do, however, reserve my right to be disgruntled.

These annoyances not withstanding, we are all happy and generally doing well. It's very nice to have Mike around to give me a few minutes to myself every now and then. Kerwin is definitely enjoying having both Mom and Dad around. We actually told him that we are going to be leaving soon. He is much more excited about getting in the "big airplane" at this point than he is about going home. But he is excited about that too. Hoping for good news this afternoon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, Mike and Kerwin,

It's good to know you are all together now! JOY :>)

Becky,
Sorry for yet another delay. You are right, it is beyond our understanding of why things are the way they are but know that our God above sees the whole picture and is weaving your paths to come home right now. You have done wonderfully well in being patient and focusing on your son's happiness, well being and education. These past few months are just a little paragraph when compared with the life you have ahead. Hang on just a little longer and you all will soon be taking the best plane ride ever!

We love you and are holding you all up in prayer!

love
Don and Karen

Anonymous said...

I totally have to agree with you on this one. It is just SO FRUSTRATING and annoying trying to get ANYTHING done in Haiti...my mom sat in immigration waiting to pick up passports and in about 30 minutes 7 staff drank an entire(large) bottle of Rum(43%alcohol) NO WONDER nothing ever gets done on time, or even reasonably late...the other office was dancing around and the men were flirting with the woman and they were pigging out on food..THIS is why these kids sit for years waiting to go HOME..

Chalet Orphanage said...

Rebecca,
It has been in the last few months that I have begun to understand (or should I say accept) the hardships, frustration, and suffering one must endure in a life sold out to Christ. I often sense that those who endure in faithfulness are being prepared for something greater.

We didn't have a lot of time together but from the beginning I have been so impressed. Your life speaks so loudly, I believe, of all that is on the heart of God.

You have litterally given up months of your life to come and to love an orphaned child. Knowing full well and accepting that you would not return to your life, your job, your family, until he could come with you. You have made his wants, needs, and entire life your focus and priority.

Through heartache, frustration, and lonliness you have remained faithful. I am so proud of you and have learned so much, not only from conversations with you, but from watching you live.

What is more, I count it all loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I might gain Christ and be found in Him... Phil 3:7-8

with GREAT respect and love,
Heather Owen

Anonymous said...

Becky,
Well, I got my hair cut after work. If you could see it now, you would laugh your head off. I have been scalped on top and the back looks like a goat chewed it off while I was in Haiti. It is all I can do to get it to lay down and not stick straight up all over.
I hope Kerwin isn't frightened by it when he sees me again. I didn't ask her to cut it this short. She just did it.
When Rachel sees it, she will probably laugh harder than she did when I turned it green.

Your frustrations are understandable. You have been storing them up for quite a while. Go ahead and rant. Any of us who have seen it (haiti) first hand have no idea how you have been able to be as patient as you have been. Just a little while longer sweetheart. You can do it.
Oh by the way, I have taken up the habit of writing haiti with a lower case h. Upper case H's are reserved for proper names and there is nothing proper about haiti.
Talk with you later.
My love to you all.
Mom

The Tall Frys & Small Frys said...

Hi Becky,
I read your blog often and I'm sorry to hear about this new delay (uggh). My files were released from MOI to immmigration about last week too. We are waiting for passports. Would you mind emailing me the name of the doctor you used for Kerwin's physical? My O director says she knows no doctors who will do the physical before passports are in hand, and we really would like to forward his name to her (even though he made a crucial mistake with your case). Thanks so much!
Kristie (tallfrys @ yahoo.com) and http://tallsmallfryfamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry to hear of your current stumbling block! I can't even begin to imagine your frustration as my biggest downfall is that I want things fixed before they even break. I know God has everything in hand and planned, but His timing is so difficult sometimes. We'll continue to pray for your return home (soon we pray)! Abby and I just returned home from Kentucky yesterday. She went on a college visit and we got to spend time with the wonderful Kentucky friends we made while in Haiti. We saw first hand UK and even watched the game you spoke of. UK fans are crazy (in a good way)!
Will pray for all to fall in place! ~Deb~